Monday, September 22, 2008

White feathers

My family has away told me that once your loved one passes away, they leave you white feathers so that you know that they around still with you.

I know after my paternal grandmother passed my parents entire font yard was covered in pure white feathers. During the next week following her passing my parents found white feather's on everything, stuck against the car window, in their living room, on the floor of my father's business, you name it. Every once in a while my mother will find white feathers on their dock and my youngest sister will find them on the walk home from the bus stop.

Four months after my grandmother passed, but grandfather (her first husband whom she divorced in the 70s, though they still remained close friends) passed away. Since then I've thought a lot about my grandparents and my mother is still finding the white feathers, except now they come in pairs to her, one large feather and one small feather, at a time.

Today however, my husband got his first feather. We changed into new clothes for dinner and walked out the door, he even commented on the words on his shirt and we looked as he pointed at his then featherless shirt. While we ate dinner I spoke with my DH as he sat across from me, and it was only after we started talking about my dad that I noticed something - it was a white feather on the left side of his shirt, right above his heart. I thought it was so neat and reminded him of the significance of the white feather (which I'm not sure what his opinion of it is...) and continued on with the night.

Fast forward to about 10 minutes ago. I was typing my previous post and got up from the computer for a drink of water, when I came back, I just stopped in front of the bed. There it was, sitting on the keyboard: the every amazing white feather. It wasn't there moments before when I was typing and surely I do not have a white bird flying around my house. It was just... there.

Coincidence or not, it makes me happy to think of my family in a way that is always surprising and hopeful.

No comments: