Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Showers

Ugh. Honestly, the most stressful part of any celebration is a shower. My wedding shower was so stressful and I'm starting to dread my baby showers. Hub's family wants me to travel to their state so that they may throw me a shower. Novel idea but I only know a hand-full of people up there and I know it's going to be more than just the few I know. They are the kind of people who invite everyone they've ever known to anything they host.

Not to mention that Dh's aunt felt the liberty to make very clear only moments after I gushed "oh that's lovely for you to want to throw us a shower", "Well it's really not for you, it's more for us since we didn't get to give you anything for your wedding."
... umm actually you could have sent us something for our wedding but you, and most of my IL's didn't. Instead my MIL called and reamed me for an email he ex-husband wrote her about not forcing us to have flowers at our rehearsal dinner and that he'd like to help pay for part of it (from what I gathered...). All of this while she knew I was at my grandmother's funeral (I only answered since I thought she was calling to say she was sorry about the news... boy was I wrong) and then my parent's dis-invited her... 7 weeks before our wedding. Awesome. I re-invited her, via email, 4 weeks before our wedding and she thinks everything is all better. No, nothing is 'better' I did it so my husband wouldn't have to feel guilty for the rest of her life.

Anyway...

The thought of flying (which I'll have to do before 30w) is freaking me out a bit, and driving isn't an option since it's 9 hours away... on a good day... with no stops. I've also decided that if my husband can't go with me to the shower, that I would let them know I was bringing a female friend/sister/whoever to join me since there is no way I'm going alone.

DH mentioned that it would be 'worth it' since his family buys "expensive gifts" and doesn't "go off registries". Um, actually that's exactly what I don't want to happen. We aren't sharing the name, which we've mention already, although some people seem to ignore that and keep asking for the name "for monogramming purposes". So I can't imagine what people would want to get us since they can't monogram/engrave/emboss/whatever... whatever $100 silver rattle they buy. I don't expect gifts, but if someone would like to get us something, I would love for it to be something I'm actually going to use. I'm not the kind of person that will take out the crap people get us for holidays or pictures. I don't need 25 blankets with our last name on it, but I could really use a pack of wipes...

No comments: